Unable to enable DMA on some AMD systems

Christoph Wiesen chris at deadhand.com
Wed Jun 29 19:37:41 UTC 2005

Am Mittwoch 29 Juni 2005 20:26 schrieb Jago Pearce:
> Ah ha! Struck gold in the mailing list archives!
>
> When I copy something off CD my GUI and everything slows down.
>
> What should my /etc/modules look like?

That depends on what motherboard / chipset you are using. In any case you
should make sure that the module that's used by your chipset is on top
of /etc/modules
This module *might* be called "via82cxxx" or "amd74xx" on AMD systems. Check
which modules are loaded.

lsmod | grep ide_core

Should give you among others the vendor specific module you need to know.

> Also:
>
> I notice that CPU cycle management is awful and odd too. If a program
> such as edonkey or DirectConnect starts hashing MD5 sums everything
> starts to crawl. Even renice'ing these programs to a low priority
> (such as 16) doesn't help. Nor does increasing the priority of X to
> -1.
>
> Have the Ubuntu team tried to speed X/GUI somehow and inadvertently
> allowed CPU intensive graphical apps to run away with cycles?

What you describe here sounds pretty much like what's happening with my system
as well. I've got these annoying slowdowns - just don't know what to do
anymore, or how to 'reliably reproduce' it to ask for help more precisely...

Chris