How to install a .deb package

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Sun Jun 26 09:31:02 UTC 2005

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:12 pm, Linux-User wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  i´ve installed Thunderbird by Synaptec.
>
>  The problem with Synaptec is that, i doesn´t find pakages anymore.
>  So i´ve search with google for other .deb packages....
>  (normally i used an RPM Distribution)
>  When i klick on the ".deb" package,it wont install it.
>
>  Muss i install the package with the Konsole  such like "rpm -Uhv
> ****.RPM" RPM based Linux does?

sudo dpkg -i /path/to/package.deb

should do the trick.

The bigger question though, is what is broken that causes synaptic
(apt/aptitude/kynaptic/etc) to fail?

Help us help you - what does "sudo apt-get update" do from the command line?
What does "sudo apt-get install <package>" do from the command line where
"<package>" is something you want to install?  Have you done an "sudo
apt-get --fix-missing update && sudo apt-get -f install" on the command
line to try and fix anything?

I'm sure others might have other suggestions, but more info will help us
help you (we're good, but we're not psychic! :P)

Cheers,

James
--
Avoid gunfire in the bathroom tonight.