How to install a .deb package

Christoph Wiesen chris at deadhand.com
Sun Jun 26 09:21:38 UTC 2005

Hello,

yes, basically what you have to do is similar to the rpm - command, so when
you are in the directory where the deb is you enter:

sudo dpkg -i <packagename>.deb

If there are no further dependencies your package will be installed.

Anyway as I guess from your comment about Synaptic, that the package actually
is in the repositories you should try first to do:

sudo apt-get install <programname>
(no .deb)

Maybe you should try to search for the exact name of the program first:

apt-cache search <what-you-want>

So I don't know what your Synaptic (is it really that, or is it Kynaptic on
Kubuntu?) does maybe this helps.

Cheers,
Chris