Getting KDE 3.4.1 - one problem solved, others begin

Peter Barnes pjb at operamail.com
Sat Jun 18 10:06:41 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: malandante <malandante at gmail.com>
To: "Peter Barnes" <pjb at operamail.com>,
kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: Getting KDE 3.4.1 - a few questions
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:33:18 +0200

> The problem must be that for any reason apt has not been
able to
> download the packages list from kde.org.
> I'm using kubuntu since hoary was released (my former
linux was
> Debian) and have since then always got trouble with
apt-get update.
> For me, the first time I run apt-get update, it throws
the "couldn't
> stat source package list..." error. I say the first time,
because the
> second time all goes right, so I always write it twice:
>
> sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get update
>
> Let me know if that solves it. Otherwise, the problem
should be in the
> kde.org rep.
>
> I don't really know if the repository works or not
because I'm using
> the amd64 arch distro and there are no debs for amd64 in
there.

I tried sudo apt-get update several times and it still
would not find the KDE 341 to update when I had
deb
http://download.kde.org/stable/3.4.1/kubuntu hoary-updates
main in etc/apt/sources.list

Then I found a different URL on Ubuntuforums:
deb http://kubuntu.org/hoary-kde341 hoary-updates main

I replaced the previous line with this one in the
source.list. This seemed to work and after rebooting the PC
the "About KDE" now says KDE 3.4.1.

That's the good news. But I notice that the problem with
Admin in Control Center not working still exists (should it
be corrected in KDE 3.4.1?). And when I tried to do kdesu
kwrite or kdesu kate nothing happens now. Looks like a case
of "frying pan into the fire"!

Peter