hardware questions

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.nl
Fri Jun 17 14:11:31 UTC 2005

Hi Maurizio,

On Friday 17 June 2005 10:39, maurizio bonavita wrote:
> - how to make an optical usb mouse work together with
> the synaptic touchpad

You'll have to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf. You need three
InputDevices, one for the Keyboard, obviously, one for the Touchpad and
one for the USBMouse and the ServerLayout section pointing to them.
Here's an example from my xorg.conf:

sudo kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf

= *snip* =============================================================

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Usbmouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver        "synaptics"
    Identifier    "Touchpad"
    Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
    Option        "Protocol"      "auto-dev"
    Option        "LeftEdge"      "1900"
    Option        "RightEdge"     "5400"
    Option        "TopEdge"       "1900"
    Option        "BottomEdge"    "4000"
    Option        "FingerLow"     "25"
    Option        "FingerHigh"    "30"
    Option        "MaxTapTime"    "180"
    Option        "MaxTapMove"    "220"
    Option        "VertScrollDelta" "100"
    Option        "MinSpeed"      "0.02"
    Option        "MaxSpeed"      "0.18"
    Option        "AccelFactor" "0.0010"
    Option        "SHMConfig"     "on"
EndSection

[...]

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		"Default Screen"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"Usbmouse"
	InputDevice "Touchpad"  "CorePointer"
EndSection

= *snip* =============================================================

Important bits are:
- The touchpad having the Corepointer, because it's always available.
- The USB not having the Corepointer, so your X will start without mouse
attached.
- The identifier sections from ServerLayout Matching the Inputdevice
Identifiers.

> - I have plugged my bluetooth dongle but nothing
> happens I mean I tried running as root haciscan then
> hciconfig hci0 up but I get the following message:
> "can't get info device" tried to stop and restart
> hotplug as suggested by a friend of mine, rebooted the
> system with the dongle inserted but no joy.

Don't know, sorry. Maybe you have to load a driver manually? Are you
sure Linux kernel supports your device? Is the bluetooth module loaded?
(modprobe bluetooth)

> Thanks in advance for your help.

sebas
--
  http://vizZzion.org   |   GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9
Death solves all problems: no man, no problem. - Joseph Stalin