new linux-image: why?

Donatas G. ziogelis77 at takas.lt
Sun Jun 12 13:51:52 UTC 2005

After doing „apt-get upgrade“ I got a suggestion I should install a an update
package named „linux-image-2.6.10-5-386“

I guess that is an updated linux kernel, right? I guess it comes from
www.kubuntu.org repository, though i am not sure.

Should I try do do that? I mean, updating the kernel?

I did that once before, and:
1. it rewrote my grub boot loader ( I have a dual boot, so I had to manually
restore some options)
2. my fglrx driver (for ATI video card) stopped working after the upgrade -
had to reinstall it.
3. I have raserfs root file system, and the new kernel complained at the start
that it cannot find ext3...

Apart from that, everything worked fine.

Now, why shoud I follow the upgrade? Does it fix some major bug or security
hole?

Another question: I have a system with AMD Athlon 1800+ XP processor. So
perhaps I should change my kernel to another one:

linux-image-2.6.10-5-k7
or maybe
linux-image-2.6.11-5-k7    ?

Do I have chances on optimizing and speeding up my system?

--
Donatas Glodenis
http://dgvirtual.kikilis.evs.lt