Unable to enable DMA on some AMD systems

Christoph Wiesen chris at deadhand.com
Thu Jun 9 20:05:50 UTC 2005

Am Montag 06 Juni 2005 23:09 schrieb Christoph Wiesen:
> But what to 'blame' I do not know - and I seem to be run out of options. At
> least i do not know what else to do now. So basically I'm lost again.
>
> Tomorrow I'll see how it behaves without first loading the via module (so
> without using dma on the ide devices). It's too late today. I just wanted
> to write this to the list first, hoping someone can help me here again.

Well, I couldn't really pinpoint this. I couldn't reproduce the slowdowns
reliably and can't tell for sure if it actually is better when I'm running
without the via module beeing loaded via /etc/modules.

Anyway it did happen and I hope to have something more concrete sometime I can
come back with to this list. My main concern is that (if it actually is a
kubuntu/debian issue) it could be fixed for a future release.

I'm sure next time it happens it won't be when I'd 'like' to, but when I
actually need to do something ;)

So, thanks for alle the help and the open ears. Any more advice and maybe the
possibility to get my initial error fixed within kubuntu would be great
though.

Kind regards,

Christoph Wiesen