/dev/dsp busy problem ?

dave s kubuntu at pusspaws.net
Fri Dec 30 09:43:05 UTC 2005

I have a stock install of kubuntu Breezy Badger but have a problem with
realplayer 10 & skype.

If I download an mp3 from the web KDE tries to execute it with realplayer,
realplayer opens and I get a message

"Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be using it."

I have adjusted the auto suspend on my KDE sound system to 1s and then 0s to
make sure KDE is not grabbing the sound device.

dave at dave-comp:/dev$ ls -al dsp
crw-rw----  1 root audio 14, 3 2005-12-30 09:15 dsp
dave at dave-comp:/dev$
dave at dave-comp:/dev$ cat /etc/group | grep audio
audio:x:29:dave
dave at dave-comp:/dev$

So I am in the correct group, I have kmix, rss, kgpg & clipboard running in my
taskbar.

When I try & run skype (I know it is not a package) but I get 'problem with
sound device' skype uses /dev/dsp as well.

Oh I forgot to mention KDE plays its notifications AOK, Kaffine works great
etc etc.

Any Ideas

Cheers
Dave