Hoary->Breezy upgrade problems (major)

Bry Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Thu Dec 29 19:45:42 GMT 2005

--- kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:59:48 -0600
> From: "Howard Coles Jr." <dhcolesj at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Hoary->Breezy upgrade problems (major)
> To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> On Wednesday 28 December 2005 09:20, ARTHUR ALEXION
> wrote:
> > I tried to upgrade from [a perfectly good] Hoary
> to Breezy via apt-get
> > dist-upgrade, and it initially failed.
> >
> >   Re-running apt-get dist-upgrade with the
> --fix-missing option resulted in
> > finally downloading and installing most of the
> failed packages, but still
> > an error (code 1).
> >
> >   Now when I run it I get the following errors:
> >
> >   First apt-get complains:
> >
> >   perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> >   perl: warning: Please check that your locale
> settings:
> >        LANGUAGE = "en_GB:en_US:en"
> >        LC_ALL = (unset),
> >        LANG = "en_US"
> >     are supported and installed on your system.
> >   perl: warning: Falling back to the standard
> locale ("C").
> >   locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale:
> No such file or directory.
> >   locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default
> locale: No such file or
> > directory. locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default
> locale: No such file or
> > directory.

correct,
> but, if you
> edit /etc/locale.gen first you can remark out the
> locales you do NOT want
> generated when you run this command.
>
> You may want to check this file out before you run
> the locale-gen command.
>
> However, that is the problem the locales are not
> properly generated for the
> newer version of the distro.
>
> --

Yes  the "locale" errors are inherent in the upgrade.

"Tux" mentioned this in the article they recently did
on ubuntu.

It might make life simpler when upgrading to have only
the supported repositories enabled until after
upgrading.

When doing the inintial upgrade here I enabled only
the cd.

This broke several unsupported packages from my hoary
installation

Adding the repositories AFTER fixed everything up.

However the six month cycle is REALLY a boon for us
remote enough to have to depend on dialup. Even with
using the distribution CD for upgrade it was STILL
several hours of dialup to get everything on my system
up to current breezy versions. This was with a
completely "up to date" hoary system.

Bryann