Hoary -> Breezy upgrade

Joe Hart j.hart at hccnet.nl
Thu Dec 22 15:08:22 UTC 2005

Martin J Hooper wrote:

> Art Alexion wrote:
>
>> I think I am finally ready to upgrade from hoary to breezy.  My system
>> is a warty install upgraded to hoary via apt-get dist-upgrade.  I also
>> updated sources.list to point to the hoary, rather than warty CD.  This
>> is originally an Ubuntu (gnome) system converted to Kubuntu via
>> installation of the kubuntu-desktop meta-package.
>>
>> I am in the process of downloading the Kubuntu 5.10 iso.
>>
>> Suggestions? Tips? Pointers?
>>

> In sources.list replace every occurance of Hoary with Breezy.
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Should download and upgrade most packages :)
>
> Worked for me...

You might not want the Kubuntu CD.  If you install it, you'll loose all
of your Gnome applications (some of which I find quite useful).  I would
suggest upgrading to Breezy as mentioned above and them installing the
package "kubuntu-desktop".  That way, you get Kubuntu, but keep all of
your Gnome goodies and can even use Gnome in the future if you find KDE
not exactly to your liking.