NVIDIA gcc-3.4 problem

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Wed Dec 21 01:31:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:26, it clown wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am having trouble installing the nvidia drivers from the
> nvidia website.
>
> When i sh NVIDIA* i get the following:
> ERROR
> ~~~~~~
> The Linux 2.6 kernel module loader rejects kernel modules
> built with a version of gcc that does not exactly match
> that of the compiler used to build the running kernel.The
> compiler used to compile the kernel was gcc 3.4; the
> current compiler is gcc 4.0.
>
> Is there away to get around this without needing to get
> gcc-3.4 ?

No.  You must compile the kernel module with the same compiler as the
kernel.  The solution isn't as ugly as you might think though:

1. sudo apt-get install gcc-3.4 gcc-3.4-base
2. export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-3.4 ; sudo path/to/nvidia-installer

Voila!

Having more than one compiler on your system isn't a bad thing, and
installing gcc-3.4 wont screw up your base system because the default
compiler will still be the standard gcc-4 :)

HTH,

James
--
You may be right, I may be crazy,
But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for!