Slow login (nfs mounted home)

Alan Bowden alanb at adsmr.co.za
Wed Dec 14 07:51:57 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am assessing kubuntu (dapper) for use in our work environment and come up with
a bit of a show stopper.

We have all our home directories on a Network Appliance server which acts essentially
as an NFS mounted volume.

When I create a user account with the home directory on our server, the whole login
and subsequent usage becomes unusable (~3 minutes to open a konsole terminal). Some
applications then seem to run normally, but others still have problems. For example,
even when the konsole opens, one still cannot type in it.

Any suggestions to try would be welcome.

Alan