kmail pgp problem

dave s kubuntu at pusspaws.net
Sat Dec 10 17:19:40 UTC 2005

On Saturday 10 December 2005 16:12, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Saturday 10 December 2005 02:44, dave s wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been experimenting with Kgpg since It would be usefull if I could
> > email sensitive information to work knowing it is secure.
> >
> > I have set up kgpg & can encrypt & decrypt AOK, I have configured kmail
> > with keys for two accounts.
> >
> > When I try to send from one account to the other, I get the option to
> > encrypt (good so far) I go for encryption.
> >
> > When I receive the email on the other account I get
> >
> > Encrypted message (decryption not possible)
> > Reason: Crypto plug-in "openpgp" could not decrypt the data.
> > Error: Bad passphrase
> >
> > I have tried reversing the order, sending from the other account, same
> > problem. Any idea what am I missing ?
>
> You didn't specify, and for others' sake I'll ask, have you exported your
> public keys and sent them to the other account?  You must have the public
> keys at the destination end for the email client to decrypt the message.

I have not exported the public keys to a keyserver but I have entered them
into kmail. Encryption works great but when receiving the encrypted email it
appears that Kmail fails to ask me for the passphrase & plain fails with

Encrypted message (decryption not possible)
Reason: Crypto plug-in "openpgp" could not decrypt the data.
Error: Bad passphrase

My guess is that I have to turn on a software option somewhere in kmail to
make kmail ask me for the keyphrase but I just cannot find it.

> I'm sure you know how this works, but for others who may be watching it
> goes something like this:
>
> 1.  You create a key pair, a private key, and a public key.
> 2.  You export the public key, and send that to the other person who will
> receive encrypted email.
> 3.  The other person imports your public key into their email client setup.
> 4.  You create a message and encrypt it with your private key.
> 5.  They receive the message and decrypt the message with your public key.

Hey Its quite possible that I may be wrong but I understood it as ...

1. I create a key pair, a private key, and a public key
2. I export the public key
3. Other person uses public key to encrypt a message
4. I use private key to decode message