oo2 (1.9) bug?

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Thu Dec 8 13:37:47 UTC 2005

I want to confirm this before I report it, but it is serious if it is true.

I was doing a virus scan on a samba connected windows machine and found
some old virus-infected word documents (word 6 format, if it matters).
The virus scanner provided by my ISP is produced by Computer Associates,
and detects infected files in zip archives, but is incapable of cleaning
them.  Not wanting to play with them in the vulnerable windows
environment, I extracted them from Kubuntu using ark.  Then, I opened
them with oo2 (1.9 beta - hoary) and saved them as odt files in the
original windows directory, expecting that this would strip the virus
code.  Then, I saved them again as [97/2000/xp] docs (again, in the same
directory), expecting to overwrite the infected copy.  Problems noted:

   1. When opening in oo2, only one in four files prompted oo2's warning
      that the file might contain macros.
   2. When saving the files, I got no overwrite warning/confirmation
      request.
   3. When I checked the file dates in konqueror, they still had the
      time of extraction, not the time of creation.  (which in itself
      was odd as I would have expected the original date stamp from the
      ones in the archive)  Refreshing the Konqueror view did not change
      dates.

I used oo2's "Save as..." not "Export..." command.

Everything was done over Samba.

The partition where the files were located is FAT32, not NTFS.
A side question, I suppose is whether my original plan would have been
effective, i.e., would saving them as OpenDocument text files rather
than OpenDocument templates strip out the macro code in which the virus
was written?

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c