whereami, wpa_supplicant...

Jose Gomez-Dans jgomezdans at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 16:36:07 UTC 2005

Hi!
I have been trying to get whereami working. There's a HOWTO in the
ubuntu wiki, but it's not particularly clear, and I'm struggling.
Essentially, for those not acquainted with whereami, this is a program
 that will do a number of things based on external inputs (such as
detecting the ethernet cable being plugged in and that sort of thing).
My requirements using this program are that I want to be able to
connect to my work LAN (static IP addresses, DNS servers and so on) if
there's a cable on eth0, and I want to connect to my home WiFi AP
(using WPA with wpa_supplicant) if a particular ESSID is available.
The WiFi link is configured using DHCP.

Does anyone have an example or some insight? The documentation for
this program is quite tough for people like me!

Of course, if the KDE control center could be made to work with this,
that would be excellent.