How do I get into Admin mode in Control Center?

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Thu Apr 28 16:58:15 UTC 2005

On Thursday 28 April 2005 13:30, Peter Barnes wrote:
> [...]

Sorry everything came through at once.  I'd call that another bug, in kmail.
It wasn't saving my folder settings and everything got posted from my default
account, rather than the one with which I was subscribed to kubuntu-users

> I've been trying the various suggestions from people and nothing
> seems to get the Admin button working properly.

Really?  I can't see how there can be a problem if you actually start kcontrol
as root.  I think some of the suggestions were in error, because X won't
usually let a a user (root) open another user's DISPLAY, but I use "kdesu
kcontrol" frequently.

> When you say it's a bug,
> does that mean everyone with Kub 5.04 is faced with the broken Admin button
> or is it just me and a few other lost souls? Is there already a way to fix
> it, or do we have to wait for a new version of Kub to be released?

I haven't got around to checking if there's a bug posted, but I know of at
least three cases (yours, mine and another) that seemed identical, where once
you gave the password the wrong page was brought up, so I'm pretty confident
it is a bug.  That said, I've changed apt sources.list to point to breezy and
the problem went away, so I think it has been fixed.

> If it were only this one problem I would probably put up with it, use
> kcontrol from the command line and wait until the bug is fixed. But there
> are other things - like if I do sudo kate, it doesn't open and Konsole
> shows errors (things about uid1000 and uid0). With sudo kwrite I get the
> application but there are similar eror messages in Konsole. This means I'm

Yeah, that's the bit I mentioned above.  You can only use "sudo" for non X
apps (unless you play with X authorities - I never do, so I can't tell you
what to do).  For X apps, use "kdesu".

Remember, also, you can use kmenuedit to put anything on the K menu.  You can
add an entry for "kdesu kcontrol" if you want (of course, that defeats the
purpose of separating administration kcontrols from user controls).

--
derek