[kubuntu-bugs] Forward of moderated message

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Fri Apr 22 11:08:22 UTC 2005

On Friday 22 April 2005 03:22, kubuntu-bugs-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a Dell notebook with a Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200/AGP/SSE2 with the
> latest driver installed, (NVIDIA 1.0.1.7174). The first time when I have
> installed the Hoary 5.04, some days ago, all was ok. Then I have
> installed KDE with the Synaptic Package Manager..... first problem:
>
> both in the gnome desktop menu and in the kubuntu desktop menu there is
> a mixture of application of gnome and kubuntu together.

Nice isn't it!  Where's the problem? ;)

> Anyway the fonts and icons dimension were right both for gnome and kubuntu.

Dimension in what?  Pixel?  Physical lenght, width?  Fake?

> Whene I have installed the Nvidia drivers all was better, for a
> graphical point of view, but in kubuntu the dimensions of fonts and
> icons were and are still totally incorrect and varying depending on the
> application.
>
> What I have to do?
> There is the possibility to set the DPI in kubuntu, like in gnome?

Cheating?  Why not take a ruler and (number of pixels)/(number of inch)
[1 inch == 2.54 cm.]  Then tell gnome the correct dpi value.   Gnome
can't figure it out and hardcodes it, so it needs help :(

What you see now is the real physikal dimension of fonts and icons
that you should have been there since day one you bought your Laptop

From now on when you switch from a low to high res Monitor you will
always get the same size of fonts.  When svg icons will be used
everywhere (or a cached version adapted to your dpi) even the icons
will be of the same size.

Achim

                                      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com