Some of my Kubuntu-Hoary tweaks

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.nl
Mon Apr 18 15:57:58 UTC 2005

On Monday 18 April 2005 14:23, Derek Broughton wrote:
> On Friday 15 April 2005 22:00, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> > Therefore, things like this:
> > > their part. For example I'm a considerable vi user, but I promote
> > > vi (along with emacs and all) excluded from the CD in favor of
> > > nano
> >
> > Are just Wrong (TM).  Go ahead and exclude emacs if you must,
> > though ;);)
>
> Absolutely :-)
>
> > (Just kidding.) Seriously, though, you should always have vi
> > because it's just what anyone experienced with *nix expects to find
> > on any system, and if things are really borked and you can't get to
> > the Internet and  you need to fix things, it's way more comfortable
> > to fix them in vi. I can use Nano (it's a Pico clone), but it's
> > pretty painful compared to vi.
>
> Oh please!  _Anything_ is painLESS compared to vi.  Emacs is simpler
> than vi. The first thing I've done on any Linux distro I've kept for
> more than a week is to delete all those cumbersome editors.

The problem is probably that 'pain(ful|less)' depends on what you're
used to, and that seems to hold especially true for CLI-based text
editors. I hate not having vi installed on a system and thus have to
use something I'm not used to which behaves in a *for_me* unexpected
way. The same is probably true for emacs user, for people used to use
nano, pico or even notepad.exe.

Keeping a couple of often-used editors around sounds like a pretty good
idea to me, especially since they tend to be not too big of a burden on
filessytem space.

Cheers,

sebas
--
  http://vizZzion.org   |   GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9
Death solves all problems: no man, no problem. - Joseph Stalin