Some of my Kubuntu-Hoary tweaks

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Fri Apr 15 17:09:22 UTC 2005

On Friday 15 April 2005 12:53, Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:

> sudo echo "* * * * *  root  /bin/sync" >> /etc/crontab

> Derek Broughton dedi ki:
>
> > What file system are you using?   iirc when I did a fresh ubuntu warty
> > (not kubuntu) install it didn't understand Reiser (at least I must have
> > had _some_ good reason for making the partition ext3).  I imagine the
> > usefulness of this would be dependent on the FS.  You're definitely
> > defeating the purpose of lazy syncing.
>
> I always use ext3[*] and I do cron-syncing in distro (Debian, Mandrake,
> Kanotix, Kubuntu ...) for any system (servers as well as desktops except
> live-distros) :)
>
> I'm not sure what added benefit reiserfs would bring regarding FS
> resilience against crashes, though. Theoretically, ext3 or reiserfs ought
> to be equally resilient, and yes cron-syncing defeats (or more precisely,
> it's superfluous) the purpose of already in-place kernel mechanisms. But
> then again, it works and it has virtually no adverse effect on
> performance.

"Theoretically".  Practically, I just don't fully trust a journal system
bolted onto a dinosaur file system.  In this particular case, I don't _know_
but would be willing to bet that some FSs take care of this for you, some
don't.  It probably wouldn't _ever_ cause problems, though I do think it's
something better left up to the FS.

Certainly, since I started using Reiser I haven't, to my knowledge, lost
anything, despite a hard drive failure and a now flaky motherboard, causing
frequent (ie, ~twice daily) unscheduled reboots.
--
derek