firefox crashes in user but ok in root

hacker golfbuf at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 21:40:21 UTC 2005

On 4/14/05, Abdullah Ramazanoglu <ar018 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> hacker dedi ki:
>
> > I'm having frequent crashes of firefox every time I go to anything
> > with flash in it.
>
> With libflash-mozplugin (using GPL swf lib) I had encountered the same in
> Kubuntu RC. Now I don't use flash at all (I'm on amd64). I assumed it was
> due to libflash. Any chance you're also using libflash-mozplugin? I hope
> not, as it would mean a general -and temporary- glitch in Firefox, instead
> of a not-so-temporary libflash shortcoming.

No, I'm using flashplayer (directly from macromedia) .. but I found my
problem.  I tried to use the kde transparency and shadow window option
and had added the required option into my XF86Config:

Section        "Extensions"
       Option  "Composite"     "Enable"
EndSection

I had previously found a note that this causes firefox to crash when
it encounters a flash page, but forgot.  Anyway, I commented this out
and now firefox is working fine again.

>   --8<--
> >It does not happen, however, if I'm in my root account.
>
> Haven't tried this, yet.
>
> --
> Abdullah Ramazanoglu
> aramazan ÄT myrealbox D0T cöm