I lost my panel/taskbar

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Fri Apr 8 15:37:57 UTC 2005

Yesterday, I dist-upgraded a humungous number of packages and now the panel
has disappeared from the bottom of my desktop.  This isn't too much of a
problem if I'm using the laptop directly, I can use alt-tab to get between
windows and the Win key to get to the K Menu, but it's a real pain when I'm
accessing it via VNC, as I am now, where I've never found a way to simulate
either of those two operations.  Every time I minimize a window, it's gone!
I can't get back to it.

Running kcontrol to get to the panel & taskbar settings hasn't helped.  I've
turned off auto-hiding, tried to move the panel around.  Nothing brings it
back.  Hitting the Win key to bring up the menu still doesn't show the panel.

Any ideas?  Fixes for the panel or alternate key sequences for VNC are both
welcome.
--
derek