non-ubuntu packages (was Firefox and gnome dependencies

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Tue Apr 5 12:11:04 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 13:23, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Derek Broughton">
>
> > OK, I understand that, but does anybody have a good idea how to get
> > debian packages that are _not_ available in Ubuntu.  Specifically, right
> > now I'm doing Tomcat development, and Tomcat doesn't appear to be
> > available in Ubuntu.  I don't want to pick up debian versions of packages
> > that have corresponding Ubuntu versions, but I want to be able to get
> > other packages from Sarge.  Would pinning help?  (I borked my
> > installation last time I tried to work with pinning, but I guess I
> > _should_ be able to figure it out :-) ).
>
> Check the build logs: http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~lamont/buildLogs/

What am I looking for?  Yes, tomcat's there, and every log says "failed" but
that doesn't help figure out when I'll be able to get a copy.

> I'd strongly discourage mixing packages from different distros/repos. It's
> as bad as mixing between Debian branches, if not more so.

Certainly more so - I've been mixing Debian branches for years, but the
version numbers in testing are always higher than the ones in stable, and
unstable's >= testing - but if ubuntu doesn't have the packages, I have to
get them somewhere.
--
derek