kubuntu hoary RC bug reports

Abdullah Ramazanoglu ar018 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 20:50:59 UTC 2005

Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:

> Bugs:

Continued.

> B-2. Konqueror media:/
> CD drive is not listed.
  --8<--

[B-7] The error regarding no CD drive in "media:/" is an error on my part:
CD drive is there, when a CD inserted in. However, there's "the" mount
problem. I clicked into the CD while I'm in media:/ and then closed the
media:/ tab. CD was left mounted and wouldn't eject. Closing the Konq (file
manager) didn't help. Closed all the Konq (web browser) instances. So, I
had to umount it manually. There's also a "mounted CD" icon on the desktop
while it's mounted, so the user can right click it, or re-open the media:/
to unmount a mounted CD. However, since there's no "Show Desktop" icon on
the panel, it can be sometimes (many open windows exist) difficult to go to
the desktop (hint: please put the "Show Desktop" icon on the panel). As for
re-opening the media:/ window, a new user might get lost here. CD-locking
is a sensitive issue. A user can easily get frustrated when he can't eject
it. So, either a non-tray-locking mechanism should be developed, or the
"mounted CD" icon should be made most obvious (place it everywhere [is it
possible to place it directly on the panel?] and make it most easily
accesible [aka "Show Desktop"]). As an alternative, is it feasible to set
auto-mount timeout to very short periods, such as 10secs or so?

---

[B-8] Mounted a bad-media CD by clicking into it in media:/ and it mounted
after several retries. Closing the media:/ tab resulted in Konqueror crash.
(Sorry I didn't take notice of the signal.) Here is the
relevant /var/log/syslog part:

Apr  2 22:24:03 kubunturc kernel: UDF-fs: No VRS found
Apr  2 22:24:03 kubunturc kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet
Level 3
Apr  2 22:24:03 kubunturc kernel: ISOFS: changing to secondary root
Apr  2 22:24:11 kubunturc kernel: hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51
{ DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Apr  2 22:24:11 kubunturc kernel: hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x34
Apr  2 22:24:11 kubunturc kernel: ide: failed opcode was 100
Apr  2 22:24:11 kubunturc kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector
1250972
Apr  2 22:24:11 kubunturc kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical
block 312743
Apr  2 22:24:18 kubunturc kernel: hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51
{ DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Apr  2 22:24:18 kubunturc kernel: hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x34
Apr  2 22:24:18 kubunturc kernel: ide: failed opcode was 100
Apr  2 22:24:18 kubunturc kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector
1250972
Apr  2 22:24:18 kubunturc kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical
block 312743

This was when I've manually enabled DMA on hdc (CD), as DMA is disabled on
CDD by default. I've disabled DMA and retried. Messages in syslog were
exactly the same, but Konq didn't crash. I don't know if it was an
intermittent crash or something to do with DMA and/or bad media. I didn't
do many retries but I can do so, if I'm asked, for consistent
reproduceability (or lack of it).

Then when I proceeded to umount it (bad-media CD, no DMA), and eject it
again, these messages appeared in syslog:

First, 4 times:
Apr  2 22:53:53 kubunturc kernel: hdc: tray open
Apr  2 22:53:53 kubunturc kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
Apr  2 22:53:53 kubunturc kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical
block 16
Apr  2 22:53:53 kubunturc kernel: hdc: tray open
Apr  2 22:53:53 kubunturc kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 68
Apr  2 22:53:53 kubunturc kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical
block 17
Then, 13 times:
Apr  2 22:53:53 kubunturc kernel: hdc: tray open
Apr  2 22:53:53 kubunturc kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 0
Apr  2 22:53:53 kubunturc kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical
block 0
Apr  2 22:53:53 kubunturc kernel: hdc: tray open
Apr  2 22:53:53 kubunturc kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 4
Apr  2 22:53:53 kubunturc kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical
block 1
The whole above repeated 3 times (4+13+4+13+4+13).

Then I retried all of the above again with a good CD while DMA is both on
and off. No crashes, no syslog error messages. Everything worked as
expected.

---

[B-9] Konq/Web always opens in a new window. But Konq File Manager, media:/,
remote:/ settings:/ and trash:/ always open as a new tab in the newest Konq
window. If the latest Konq window is the web-browser, then they open as a
new tab under web-browser window. I think they should either open as a new
tab under FileManager (if there's an open one) or else they should open in
a new F/M window but not as a tab under the web browser.

--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu
aramazan ÄT myrealbox D0T cöm