Fwd: Stepping down as Qt 6 maintainers

Rik Mills rikmills at kubuntu.org
Tue Aug 18 13:31:25 UTC 2020

Could pose us a problem.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Stepping down as Qt 6 maintainers
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 10:05:55 -0300
From: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer at gmail.com>
To: Debian KDE ML <debian-kde at lists.debian.org>,
pkg-kde-talk at alioth-lists.debian.net

After quite some time maintaining Qt in Debian both Dmitry Shachnev
and I decided to not maintain Qt 6 when it's published (expected in
December 2020, see https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_6.0_Release). We will do our
best to keep the Qt 5 codebase up and running.

We **love** Qt, but it's a huge codebase and requires time and build
power, both things that we are currently lacking, so we decided it's
time for us to step down and pass the torch. And a new major version
seems the right point to do that.

We will be happy to review and/or sponsor other people's work or even
occasionally do uploads, but we can't promise to do it regularly.

Some things we think potential Qt 6 maintainers should be familiar
with are, of course, C++ packaging (specially symbols files) and
CMake, as Qt 6 will be built with it.

We also encourage prospective maintainers to remove the source's
-everywhere-src suffixes and just keep the base names as source
package names: qtbase6, qtdeclarative6, etc.

It has been an interesting ride all these years, we really hope you
enjoyed using Qt.

Thanks for everything,

  Dmitry and Lisandro.

--