muon bug reports

Carlo Vanini silhusk at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 22:49:22 UTC 2020

Il giorno sab 8 ago 2020 alle ore 16:51 Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> ha scritto:

> On 8/8/20 8:48 AM, Harald Sitter wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 3:14 AM Mitch Golden <mgolden at mitchgolden.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there something broken about muon that would require it to be sunset?
> >
> > We don't know because nobody triages bugs, let alone works on them,
> > hence my original question where bug mails should go ;)
>
> I suppose we should set up a new mailing list and encourage people who
> care to subscribe to it.

Muon is certainly not actively developed anymore. I would say the same
of libqapt,
software-properties(-qt) and apt-xapian-index (Muon depends on them). Being
distro-specific may not be helping. Maybe having a list dedicated to them as you
suggest would gather interested people and coordinate some effort.
Releasing with Applications would also help a lot.

On the other hand, I would say the target user group for Muon could be served by
aptitude. Muon is a sort of clone of aptitude with limited features (think e.g.
dependency navigation, multiple tabs). For desktop users we have Discover.
When Muon was orphaned [1] it was already proposed to move it to unmaintained.

Muon is still usable at present, safe for some quirks (e.g. search
crashing in some
circumstances).
The more recent bug reports are related to software-properties, which
is a Ubuntu thing.
The Qt frontend still expects to be run as root (kdesu or pkexec).
Afaik it will break on
Wayland. There is a branch for porting to the existing dbus service,
but then new features
got added to master and the branch lagged behind.
Maintaining Muon would require some activity on apt-xapian-index
(completing port to
python3) and software-properties. Moreover, if Julian hadn't updated
libqapt to apt 1.9
himself, I for one certainly wouldn't have been able to.

To sum it up, it would make me sad to see it go away, but I'm not
against sunsetting.

Carlo

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-devel/2015-November/010082.html