i386 architecture will be dropped starting with eoan

Dale Trombley buzzmandt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 19:31:39 UTC 2019

A leading Ubuntu developer has said it is “simply not the case” that Ubuntu
will drop support for running 32-bit applications in Ubuntu 19.10 and
subsequent editions.

Now, in a forum reply on the Ubuntu Discourse, Langasek appears to row back
on the notion that 32-bit libraries will be removed wholesale in the ‘Eoan
Ermine’, writing:

*“I’m sorry that we’ve given anyone the impression that we are ‘dropping
support for i386 applications*‘*. It is simply not the case. What we are
dropping is updates to the i386 libraries, which will be frozen at the
18.04 LTS versions.”*

*https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/06/is-ubuntu-not-dropping-32-bit-app-support-after-all?fbclid=IwAR2IQGLiqjYHtc_JY00I-mR5948OCVgO22OWqHkZUxuQRGpDACFSJ2y1w1U

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 8:44 AM Dale Trombley <buzzmandt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was under the impression it was just the build architecture and not the
> packages. If the packages remain the same steam will be fine right? Someone
> can give some clarity here?
>
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2019, 8:20 AM Jonas Timothy <techxgames at outlook.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm just wondering that, instead of totally dropping i386, why not just
>> drop the ones that are unnecessary from the repos, like VLC, Vim, Nano,
>> Plasma, etc.  Since Ubuntu doesn't even have an i386 based distros
>> officially, those aren't needed to be there anymore.  That way, you only
>> had to trim it down to the ones that are necessary for us who need the
>> legacy stuff without the workarounds, like Wine?
>>
>> Best of both worlds, right?
>>
>> Jonas
>>
>> --

*Truck driver, Linux Tech, Webmaster, and Web Admin.Volunteer Kubuntu Linux
Development Tester*