Fwd: Proposal: Let's drop i386

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed May 16 23:17:13 UTC 2018

Hello folks, I'm forwarding the following email to Ubuntu-devel ML to
explain the thinking on the part of the Ubuntu developers as to why
they are discontinuing the i386 images. For us, this would mean that
the 18.04 LTS is the last i386 ISO that we will be publishing. I'm
reluctant to do this, however, I do not have the time or technical
knowledge required to do this on my own, and the Kubuntu Devels want
Kubuntu to stop issuing i386 images.

Therefore, we are going to do that. For those of you who still want
and need i386, you will have 3 years of support from us on the LTS.
This means that when we're ready for the point releases (18,04.1, 2
etc.) I will still be asking for testers and expect you i386 people to
step up and do that.

For now the i386 *packages* in the archive are not going away.
However, I think the clock is ticking for them as well. On the other
hand, this will mean more attention from devels on the newer ARM stuff
which will be useful for those with Raspi or little ARM
laptop/netbooks.

Discussion is welcome, but I'm afraid that the decision has been
taken, and we'll be moving ahead to 18.10 without i386.

Valorie