Fwd: Kubuntu seeding snaps

Will Cooke will.cooke at canonical.com
Thu Mar 29 09:08:49 UTC 2018

Sorry I missed the message to the mailing list.  I spoke to Franklin
yesterday and wanted to share some info with the list in general and see if
anyone would like to make these changes for 18.04.

The machinery to add a snap to the image is all in place and totally
generic.  You can see from the Ubuntu Desktop seeds here:

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu-seeds/ubuntu.bionic/view/head:/desktop#L105

That it's a simple case of including the snaps you want seeded.  These make
their way in to the live CD and in to the installed OS.  (The previous
problems with snaps trying to update themselves in the live session are now
fixed in Casper.)

If we take KCalc as an example, you would need to remove the kcalc line
from your current seed, and add:

snap:kde-frameworks-5
snap:kcalc

.. and that should be it.

With the snaps being produced by KDE you could free up some time from
maintaining those packages yourselves.  While KCalc might not be the best
example of freeing up time, it's a toe in the water.

If I can offer any help with this, please let me know.

Cheers, Will