Error after adding Kubuntu's backports Repo

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 00:36:56 UTC 2018

Hey Josh,

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 6:47 PM, Joshua <joshua.rg18 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question but I'm not sure if this is the appropriate channel to
> report it though. I was trying to install Latte-Dock but when I added the
> "ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports" repository I got a prompt for upgrading several
> other packages and dependencies that in the end were not able to be
> upgraded as I have a 64 bit Kubuntu OS with 32 bit libraries installed as I
> needed them for Android Studio.
>
> The Message said that the packages could not be upgraded and the previous
> versions will be used instead, therefore the upgrade was cancelled and I
> wasn't able to complete the installation. Do you have any recommendations
> or workaround for this? I just don't want to mess my system as it is a
> fresh install. I can provide screenshots if needed.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Josh R.

This actually isn't quite the right list, but I wanted to ask if you found
a way around your difficulties. It seems to me that your actual situation
isn't solvable in *one* installation.

Have you thought about creating a VM with your "64 bit Kubuntu OS with 32
bit libraries installed" to use when you do your Android studio work, and a
regular install you can use with Latte Dock?

An alternative would be two side by side installs. If you need 32 bit
libraries, why not just install an i386 image to one partition, and the
stock amd64 to the other?

Valorie

PS: Support questions are meant to be on the Kubuntu-User list:

http://about.me/valoriez