Drop PIM from the iso (default install)

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Fri Sep 15 21:20:26 UTC 2017

I'll vote in favor of KDEPIM
Some Devil's advocate points that do not necessarily indicate my opinions on this topicg
1) An increase in resource usage, sure. But "hog" is open to interpretation. Just how much time are we saving during login? Is this still a thing? Don't we all just close our laptop lids and move on, and seldom reboot our PCs?
2) How are we determining this?
3) and 4) how much is saved, and is this overhead really an issue?
5) Kubuntu is not Neon. Neon showcases Plasma Desktop. Kubuntu is a well rounded easy to use distro that has extra software from the base Plasma provides. Note that "easy to use" is not the same thing as "newbie distro".
6) We could use  this reasoning  to remove a music player, irc client, office suite, and anything else and have nothing to differentiate us from KDE Neon.
Also, as part of the Ubuntu family, shouldn't we have similar features or at least similar sets of installed software? What are our brethren using?
Are there alternatives? How does just Kmail and the address book do, resource-wise?
Lastly would this be a big slap in the face to the KDEPIM and greater KDE community?
Just some random thoughts.

Sent from my phone as I am at work for a while still.

Clay Weber
------ Original message------From: Clive JohnstonDate: Fri, Sep 15, 2017 8:52 AMTo: Kubuntu Developer Discussion;kubuntu-council at lists.launchpad.net;Cc: Subject:Drop PIM from the iso (default install)
I know this is not going to be a popular subject for some, but I feel it does need debated.  I would like to propose dropping PIM (all of it) from the iso (Kubuntu install medium)
Here are my reasons for doing so:
1) PIM is a system resource hog - It starts services in the background which lead to longer waiting times to actually boot into your desktop.  We tried to disable a lot of these services from auto-starting in Zesty and found that our default install footprint (memory and speed getting to desktop) was greatly reduced.
2) Majority of people don't actually use it - I am definitely in the minority of Kubuntu users who actually do use PIM features, and I love it.  However, most users do not use it but are having it installed by default.  This means that they will then have to keep it updated, unless they physically remove it.
3) iso size - PIM is a bit of a beast and is quite big size wise (when you consider all the dependencies).  Dropping it off the iso would make the total iso size smaller and will also make installation a bit quicker as hundreds of extra packages won't have to be installed.
4) Upgrade overhead - Every-time a Kubuntu user does an upgrade, PIM will need to be upgraded too.  For those on slower internet connections (like myself) this can be slow and frustrating.  This is even more annoying if you don't even use the PIM suite!
5) KDE neon don't install it by default - The official KDE distribution don't install it by default.  Probably due to the resource hogging as described above.
6) Any part of the suite can easily be installed via Discover, Muon or Konsole by those who actually do want it.  In my opinion opting in is more in line with Freedoms of open source software rather than opting out (just personal opinion).
I'm interested in other opinions and a debate on the issue, so please reply to this thread.
Clive