Kubuntu Council Elections 2017 - Call for Nominations

Rik Mills rikmills at kubuntu.org
Mon Sep 4 11:45:51 UTC 2017

I wish to nominate myself to stand for the Kubuntu Council in the 2017
elections.

My name is Rik Mills, and I have been a Kubuntu Member for nearly a
year, and a Kubuntu Developer since February.

My LP profile can be found at: https://launchpad.net/~rikmills

Since getting involved in Kubuntu I have tried to make daily (or nearly
so) contributions to the project, including areas such as
(non-exhaustively) development, packaging, uploads, administering our
CI, website announcements, advocacy and user help on forums and social
media, collaborating with other projects, and more..... I have made
contributions to KDE Neon and KDE also, hopefully to the benefit of both
ends.

Things I would like to accomplish on the Council would include:

1) Increase our social media and outreach presence, both to help users
and promote the project and get useful user feedback. At the moment this
is some somewhat piecemeal, and I think we can do better in both
organisation and breadth.

2) Bring more people such as packagers, documenters, coders, artists etc
into the project. This may go hand in hand with aim (1), but we also
need to still improve the visibility and clarity of the entry path to
contributing in the many possible areas we have. One example may be the
restart of Kubuntu Ninja dojo sessions on BigBlueButton or similar, as
the value of practical live sessions such as that can encourage people
more than volumes of wiki pages and docs (not that those are not crucial
also).

3) Work better with other projects for our mutual benefit. There has
certainly been good progress with this in the last 12 months, but I feel
we can still do better. We have huge common interest with projects such
as KDE Neon, that I don't think are fully explored. The same for other
ubuntu flavours, such as lubuntu where shared resources on Qt/KDE
essentials such as update manager/notifications, installer front end,
better driver manager and more would benefit us all.

There is a lot more that could be said, but this is a nomination, not a
manifesto, so I will stop there.

Thank you all.

Rik Mills
Kubuntu Developer