Fix for distupgrade from 14.04 to 16.04

Benjamin Tegge benjaminosm at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 9 08:48:58 UTC 2017

Am Donnerstag, den 09.11.2017, 01:52 +0100 schrieb xor:
> Unfortunately that text file is > 100 pages long nowadays!
> It would end up taking half a year for me to find the time to
> reconfigure a
> newly installed system.

I can't help you find out what is so problematic about the Kubuntu LTS
to LTS upgrade since I don't use Kubuntu, only a few KDE apps, but I
agree with you.

What usually helps to reduce the required effort of a clean install on
my systems is to do a diff of the backup of the old system and the new
system from live media with Meld. I review the changes in /etc manually
after I installed all the packages (same here, just compare and review
the filtered output of `dpkg -l`), restore the data in /home and that
usually goes smooth. It doesn't take me more than a day, probably a few
hours more when I account planning, but it's pretty efficient compared
to stories I heard from Mac or Windows users, particularly Macs.

Hope that helps understanding and planning your future disaster
recovery.

Best regards,
Benjamin