Issues regarding customizing Kubuntu

Gerry Boland gerry.boland at canonical.com
Thu Jul 27 22:15:15 UTC 2017

Hi Franklin,
maybe I can help with some of your questions. See replies inline

> On 26 Jul 2017, at 14:12, Franklin Weng <franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> 1. plasmashell doesn't honor the XDG related environment variables:  I
> set the XDG env variables like XDG_MENU_PREFIX, XDG_CONFIG_DIRS, ...
> etc. in the Xsession.d which should be loaded *before* kinit5 started.
> However these environment variables are not passed to kinit5 and hence
> XDG_MENU_PREFIX wouldn't work, which would cause that it always reads
> /etc/xdg/menu/kf5-applications.menu .

You can use this command to see the environment variables that are being set for plasmashell, including by the scripts in Xsession.d:

xargs -n 1 -0 < /proc/`pgrep plasmashell`/environ

I did a test myself, and setting a variable in a script in the Xsession.d directory worked just fine. Note you need to take care, as some of the scripts set XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and XDG_DATA_DIRS already, so make sure your script runs after them.

If you can check this, it’ll help us narrow in on where the problem is: either the env var isn’t set, or plasmashell isn’t reading and acting on the env var.

> 2. /etc/kde5rc seems not work:  According to the source code [1], it
> should read /etc/kde5rc to get the default profile path prefix.  However
> no matter how I set /etc/kderc, /etc/kde4rc, /etc/kde5rc with the
> following code:
>
> [Directories-default]    ## or [Directories]
> prefixes=/usr/share/ezgo/ezgo-kde/kde-profile/
>
> It wouldn't read the default configurations from the path I assigned.

I agree the code says /etc/kde5rc, and the syntax you’re using appears correct. I don’t know how to test this however - what could I do to reproduce your custom menus?

> 3. I couldn't use a new file to override the layout.js in
> /usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/ or in
> /usr/share/plasma/layout-templates/org.kde.plasma.desktop.defaultPanel/contents/.
> I need to directly change the content so that the desktop and panel I
> want can be applied, which violates the debian package policy.  Eike
> mentioned the "look-and-feel" packages (org.kde.[look-and-feel]).
> Please tell me where the document is and I'll see if I can use this way
> to solve the problem.

Have you seen this?:
https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Create_a_Look_and_Feel_Package

> 4. Plasma scripts:  See [2] & [3].  I couldn't create activities I
> want.  I *always* have only "Default" activity.  Also, "Search and
> Launch" is gone.  I remembered that there was a component similar to SaL
> but since I couldn't create any new activity I have no way to try it out.

I hope someone else can chime in on this one.

-G