Issues regarding customizing Kubuntu

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 16:14:27 UTC 2017

Hi Franklin, so good to hear from you here on the devel mail list.

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 6:12 AM, Franklin Weng
<franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Following my talk in Akademy 2017, I'd like to list my issues about
> customizing Plasma5 in Kubuntu and hope that we can work it out together.
>
> 1. plasmashell doesn't honor the XDG related environment variables:  I
> set the XDG env variables like XDG_MENU_PREFIX, XDG_CONFIG_DIRS, ...
> etc. in the Xsession.d which should be loaded *before* kinit5 started.
> However these environment variables are not passed to kinit5 and hence
> XDG_MENU_PREFIX wouldn't work, which would cause that it always reads
> /etc/xdg/menu/kf5-applications.menu .
>
> 2. /etc/kde5rc seems not work:  According to the source code [1], it
> should read /etc/kde5rc to get the default profile path prefix.  However
> no matter how I set /etc/kderc, /etc/kde4rc, /etc/kde5rc with the
> following code:
>
> [Directories-default]    ## or [Directories]
> prefixes=/usr/share/ezgo/ezgo-kde/kde-profile/
>
> It wouldn't read the default configurations from the path I assigned.
>
> 3. I couldn't use a new file to override the layout.js in
> /usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/ or in
> /usr/share/plasma/layout-templates/org.kde.plasma.desktop.defaultPanel/contents/.
> I need to directly change the content so that the desktop and panel I
> want can be applied, which violates the debian package policy.  Eike
> mentioned the "look-and-feel" packages (org.kde.[look-and-feel]).
> Please tell me where the document is and I'll see if I can use this way
> to solve the problem.
>
> 4. Plasma scripts:  See [2] & [3].  I couldn't create activities I
> want.  I *always* have only "Default" activity.  Also, "Search and
> Launch" is gone.  I remembered that there was a component similar to SaL
> but since I couldn't create any new activity I have no way to try it out.
>
> The above are problems what I met so far.  I was quite frustrated but
> not blaming anyone for this.  I'd just like to work them out with your help.
>

> Thanks,
> Franklin
>
> [1] https://lxr.kde.org/source/frameworks/kconfig/src/core/kconfig.cpp
> [2] http://marc.info/?l=kde-devel&m=145808650305603&w=2
> [3] https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2016-March/thread.html

I know that you worked with the Plasma team during Akademy on these
problems, and hope that that work is ongoing. Most plasma developers
are not on this list, however.

When you encounter packaging problems, we can help! And if your
problems are deeper in Ubuntu, below the "KDE layer" that we manage,
we can help you find the person you need to talk to. Gerry can help
there as well.

It is great to establish this personal link at long last.

All the best,

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez