Usability Improvement

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Tue Aug 1 03:53:54 UTC 2017

I'm sure this isn't the most correct place to post this, but perhaps it
could make it's way to the correct person.

I've put Kubuntu on 10s of thousands of machines over the years and a
very common problem that I run into is with the KDE wallet system.  I
meant to write in with this suggestion years ago, but it got out of
site, out of mind.  However I just did a little tech support for someone
that was very very angry about the situation, so I thought I should
finally say something (better late than never).

So the problem is that when you first login it tells you set a password
for the wallet, but it doesn't really give you any of the implications
of setting that password so it then becomes a giant annoyance to those
that don't care about protecting their passwords and just want their
system to leave them alone.

So my thoughts are that without changing the wallet system itself
perhaps a different initial setup could be created that briefly tells
you what the wallet does and then asks you to pick from 3 levels of
security for the wallet such as:

Low security: Just store my passwords in the wallet without a password
Medium security: Set a password for your web passwords but keep the
local passwords without a password so your wifi "just works"
High security: Set a password for all passwords in the wallet

Only the second and third option would prompt for a password.
I suppose you could have a 4th option to not use the wallet at all, but
I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

I believe that simple change would keep people not only more educated
about what the wallet is, but will make them happier with KDE in the
long run... (and keep people from yelling at me in the future <grin>)

Thanks for reading my rant,
Brian Cluff