KDE PIM update for Zesty available for testers

Rik Mills rikmills at kubuntu.org
Sat Apr 22 11:36:04 UTC 2017

Also posted to: https://phabricator.kde.org/T5840#90170

I would like to suggest a slight change in plan for shipping these
updates based on 2 usage cases:

* Case 1 - A user or organisation who wants to update to PIM 16.12.3,
who is happy to add the backports ppa, and is happy to receive further
updates/backports of other applications (Plasma, apps, FW. digikam,
krita) though the normal backports ppa.

* Case 2 - A user or organisation who wants in the majority to use the
default Zesty, but is missing the update to PIM 16.12.3 and would like
to add just this.

Case 1 is obviously served by adding the normal backports ppa and
leaving that enabled.

Case 2 could be served initially by the normal backports ppa, as long as
the user is instructed to and remembers to disable the ppa after updating.

However, they would:

(a) not get any bugfixes to 16.12.3 PIM should we find the need to push
those (security updates etc), and;

(b) in the case of someone installing Zesty afresh in a few months or
weeks time, when we may have pushed additional packages to backports, it
would be difficult for such a user to just get the PIM update they want
and nothing else.

Therefore to serve Case 2 I would suggest that we make a separate ppa
(say backports-pim) for zesty and copy just PIM to that, in addition to
having it in the normal backports ppa as well.