KDE PIM update for Zesty available for testers

Martin van Es mrvanes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 09:03:00 UTC 2017

I tried dist-upgrade when I saw the "broken" state in aptitude but
can't exactly remember the initial solution, but remember being
daunted by the REMOVED list (before inquiring this list).
This is what I get now:

# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
 kdepim-doc kdepimlibs-data kdepimlibs-kio-plugins libkf5mailcommon5
libkf5messagecomposer5 libkf5messagecore5 libkf5messagelist5
libkf5messageviewer5
 kio-ldap kio-sieve kio-smtp libkf5akonadicalendar5abi1
libkf5akonadicontact-data libkf5akonadimime-data
libkf5akonadisearch-bin libkf5akonadisearch-data
 libkf5akonadisearch-plugins libkf5akonadisearchcore5
libkf5akonadisearchxapian5 libkf5incidenceeditor5abi1
libkf5kaddressbookimportexport5 libkf5libkleo5abi1
 libkf5mailcommon5abi1 libkf5messagecomposer5abi1
libkf5messagecore5abi1 libkf5messagelist5abi1
libkf5messageviewer-plugins libkf5messageviewer5abi1
libkf5mimetreeparser5
 libkf5pimcommon5abi1 libkf5webengineviewer5abi1 libkgantt2
libkgantt2-l10n libqgpgme7 mbox-importer pim-data-exporter
pim-sieve-editor
 accountwizard akonadi-backend-mysql akonadi-server akregator curl
distro-info-data firefox firefox-locale-en kaddressbook
kde-config-mailtransport kdepim-addons kdepim-runtime
 kdepim-themeeditors kf5-kdepim-apps-libs-data kf5-messagelib-data
kgpg kleopatra kmail knotes kontact korganizer ktnef libcurl3
libcurl3-gnutls libfreetype6 libfreetype6:i386
 libkf5akonadiagentbase5 libkf5akonadicontact5 libkf5akonadicore-bin
libkf5akonadicore5 libkf5akonadimime5 libkf5akonadinotes5
libkf5akonadiprivate5 libkf5akonadisearchdebug5
 libkf5akonadisearchpim5 libkf5akonadiwidgets5 libkf5alarmcalendar5
libkf5calendarcore5 libkf5calendarsupport-data libkf5calendarsupport5
libkf5calendarutils5
 libkf5contacts-data libkf5contacts5 libkf5eventviews-data
libkf5eventviews5 libkf5followupreminder5 libkf5gapi-data
libkf5gapicalendar5 libkf5gapicontacts5 libkf5gapicore5
 libkf5gapidrive5 libkf5gapitasks5 libkf5grantleetheme-plugins
libkf5grantleetheme5 libkf5gravatar5 libkf5holidays-data
libkf5holidays5 libkf5identitymanagement5abi1
 libkf5imap5 libkf5incidenceeditor-bin libkf5kaddressbookgrantlee5
libkf5kdepimdbusinterfaces5 libkf5kmanagesieve5
libkf5kontactinterface-data libkf5kontactinterface5
 libkf5ksieve-data libkf5ksieve5 libkf5ksieveui5 libkf5ldap5
libkf5libkdepim-data libkf5libkdepim-plugins libkf5libkdepim5
libkf5mailcommon-plugins libkf5mailimporter5
 libkf5mailtransport-data libkf5mailtransport5 libkf5mbox5 libkf5mime5
libkf5pimcommon-plugins libkf5pimtextedit5abi1 libkf5sendlater5
libkf5syndication5 libkf5templateparser5
 libkf5tnef5 libkolab1 libnss-resolve libpam-systemd libsystemd0
libsystemd0:i386 libudev1 libudev1:i386 qml-module-org-kde-kholidays
systemd systemd-sysv udev
95 upgraded, 29 newly installed, 8 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 79.7 MB of archives.
After this operation, 5,590 kB of additional disk space will be used.

But I'm not sure this is because I solved all broken packages in
aptitude by removing the blocking packages by hand or because
dist-upgrade does a better job than the aptitude solver?

Anyway, I guess it's safe to proceed now?

Best regards,
Martin

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Rik Mills <rikmills at kubuntu.org> wrote:
> Thank you for the feedback.
>
> As per the instructions on the website, could you please try with:
>
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> or
>
> sudo apt full-upgrade
>
> The output I would expect, including intended package removals, is shown
> in the paste below.
>
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/24425524/
>
> However, on your aptitude output.
>
> On 21/04/17 08:44, Martin van Es wrote:
>
>> aptitude suggests to remove 7 packages, of which knotes is one.This
>> is because knotes has both version 16.04.3 and 16.12.3 of kdepim-doc
>> in the breaks and replaces dependancies. Like I said, I'm not an
>> expert, but it seems strange for knotes 16.12.3 to have a break
>> dependancy on kdepim-doc 16.12.3?
>
> It is just a breaks/replaces on any version as we want to get rid of
> that transitional package. Hence, yes the 16.12.3 one is superfluous,
> but does no harm.
>
> Removing knotes is not something I see.
>
>> In some sort of same way kdepim-runtime breaks kdepimkio-plugins
>> 16.04.3 but here the solution isn't so obvious other than removing
>> kdepimkio-plugins.
>
> kdepimlibs-kio-plugins is meant to be removed
>
>> Another circle:
>> libkf5messagecomposer5 depends on kf5-messagelib-data and resolving
>> this leads to a circle, unless I remove libkf5messagecomposer5
>> completely. The same holds for libkf5messagecore5, libkf5messagelist5,
>> libkfmessageviewer5 and libkf5mailcommon5. They are all 16.04.3
>> versions so I assume it's safe to remove them?
>
> Those libs again are meant to be removed and replaced with renamed ones.

If 'but' was any useful, it would be a logic operator