[Kubuntu Automation] Operation Fir Tree

José Manuel Santamaría Lema panfaust at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 20:13:33 UTC 2017

El jueves, 20 de abril de 2017 15:15:33 (CEST) usted escribió:
> Hey,
>
> regarding the library packaging, how about merging the automation tools
> back into our kubuntu-dev-tools [1]?
> That's the repository that has our general purpose development tools,
> has existing and working debian packaging and already supports python
> lib installation.
> With that we could then deprecate the entire automation repository
> as that's only a separate entity because it also contains all those static
> config and data files.
>
> Having 2 seperate tooling packages that are both installable and serve
> kind of similiar purposes is rather confusing IMO.
>
> [1] https://code.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-packagers/kubuntu-dev-tools/trunk

Hi Philip,

thanks for your input. So the "Operation Coherence" was born :P
https://phabricator.kde.org/w/kubuntu/black-operations/

Because now that you mention it, I wanted for a while to import the
kopypackages script in KA, make a few changes and rename it as kopypackages2.
So I agree that we should merge both KA and KDT in the future. However, note
that...

1. to make that move feasible, first of all we need to complete the Operation
"Fir Tree" (skipping the package renaming). The current KA scripts still need
a few changes to make them work properly if installed from a package. I expect
to finish and test thoroughly these changes in a few days. I already have an
experimental package here:
https://launchpad.net/~panfaust/+archive/ubuntu/ka-exp
and some changes which I didn't push to the official KA git repo here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~panfaust/ka/+git/ka/+ref/fir-tree
and a separate repository for the metadata here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-packagers/ka/+git/ka-metadata
This work needs to  be completed no matter what, because without it any kind
or merging with KDT would be impossible.

2. while I agree we should merge both toolings I would really prefer to merge
the KDT bits which are still useful into KA and not the other way around,
because that's going to result in less work to do. KA is more actively
mainatined and it provides most of the tools we are using today to provide new
software in the PPA's and the archive. KDT, on the other hand, is still in bzr
and afaics several python scripts are still using python2, they are also
various things which are clearly obsolete. In any case we have to check all
the scripts in KDT and see what's obsolete, what needs to be updated and
what's still useful.

That being said, regarding the KDT packaging, last time I used the
kopypackages script I had to build the package myself because I din't find it
already built anywhere. So I would like to propose this:
* create a PPA here https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa named "Kubuntu
Developers"
* upload to that ppa the following packages for zesty and xenial:
- kubuntu-dev-tools
- ka-deps (as in https://launchpad.net/~panfaust/+archive/ubuntu/ka-deps)
- kubuntu-automation (as in https://launchpad.net/~panfaust/+archive/ubuntu/
ka-exp)