Qt Virtual Keyboard for (K)Ubuntu?

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 3 05:24:17 UTC 2016

It seems like from what I read about it that it doesn't need anything
special to make it work with any Qt app, right? If so, that seems like a no
brainer for a new package. I couldn't find it in Debian. I might be
interested in taking this on as a new package. Any further insight would be
most appreciated.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 1:44 AM, Valorie Zimmerman <
> valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 2:22 AM, N. W. <nw9165-3201 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > just noticed that Qt Virtual Keyboard has been open sourced this year,
>> see:
>> >
>> > http://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/01/13/new-agreement-with-the-kde
>> -free-qt-foundation/
>> > http://doc.qt.io/QtVirtualKeyboard/index.html
>> > http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtvirtualkeyboard.git/
>> > http://plfiorini.blogspot.de/2016/04/qt-virtual-keyboard-sup
>> port-on-hawaii.html
>> >
>> > Judging from the following two videos, Qt Virtual Keyboard looks
>> absolutely amazing and way better than the other virtual onscreen keyboards
>> which are currently available from the Ubuntu repository, see:
>> >
>> > https://youtu.be/yIsQHinTw00
>> > https://youtu.be/EyeDZLGIwbM
>> >
>> > Unfortunately it seems like no Linux distribution has this packaged yet
>> :/.
>> >
>> > Any chance you could package this for Ubuntu and possibly even make it
>> the default virtual onscreen keyboard for Kubuntu?
>> >
>> > Regards
>>
>> I see that nobody answered this. In general, we only package KDE
>> software. If this package 1. is packaged by Debian, and 2. becomes a
>> dependency of some KDE software (such as Kwin) then certainly we would
>> package it.
>>
>> You can always package it in a PPA, and offer it for testing, which I
>> assume would help in lots of ways.
>>
>> More help for the packaging team is always welcome!
>>

> FWIW, I don't think this had hit the mailing list.
>
> Support for this is already integrated with KWin and available on Plasma
> with Wayland. I've tested it, it works fine but needs tuning.
>
> Aleix

       @wxl | polka.bike
C563 CAC5 8BE1 2F22 A49D
68F6 8B57 A48B C4F2 051A