Qt Virtual Keyboard for (K)Ubuntu?

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 00:44:26 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 2:22 AM, N. W. <nw9165-3201 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just noticed that Qt Virtual Keyboard has been open sourced this year, see:
>
> http://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/01/13/new-agreement-with-the-kde-free-qt-foundation/
> http://doc.qt.io/QtVirtualKeyboard/index.html
> http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtvirtualkeyboard.git/
> http://plfiorini.blogspot.de/2016/04/qt-virtual-keyboard-support-on-hawaii.html
>
> Judging from the following two videos, Qt Virtual Keyboard looks absolutely amazing and way better than the other virtual onscreen keyboards which are currently available from the Ubuntu repository, see:
>
> https://youtu.be/yIsQHinTw00
> https://youtu.be/EyeDZLGIwbM
>
> Unfortunately it seems like no Linux distribution has this packaged yet :/.
>
> Any chance you could package this for Ubuntu and possibly even make it the default virtual onscreen keyboard for Kubuntu?
>
> Regards

I see that nobody answered this. In general, we only package KDE
software. If this package 1. is packaged by Debian, and 2. becomes a
dependency of some KDE software (such as Kwin) then certainly we would
package it.

You can always package it in a PPA, and offer it for testing, which I
assume would help in lots of ways.

More help for the packaging team is always welcome!

All the best,

Valorie