PPA management

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Sun Apr 24 02:39:56 UTC 2016

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 7:21:34 PM EDT Scarlett Clark wrote:
> The ppas *I* use is staging*
> And backports for well backports.
> Do what you will for all others.
> Cheers
> Scarlett

I am not saying to remove them, but to move them to a different page, perhaps,
keeping things regular users would need separate from those who are testing
and packaging and the like would  need.
The kubuntu ppa page has historically been where we have put our official
supported stuff. It is less confusing to our users, and (this is imnsho)
presents itself to the public better

Having said that I do realize that people will and do mix staging and
backports and ci ppas no matter what we do.

What are the negatives of cleaning it up a little?

Clay

> On Apr 23, 2016 19:06, "Clay Weber" <clay at claydoh.com> wrote:
> > I wonder if it is worth it to re-group our PPAs more like it used to be
> > done
> >
> > The kubuntu-ppa launchpad page(1) used to contain basically:
> > kubuntu-updates
> > kubuntu-backports
> > beta-backports
> > experimental
> >
> > I think it causes confusion and more, not counting possible packaging
> > conflicts
> > when a larger group of people mix and match things.
> >
> > I think it might be prudent to just stick to
> > kubuntu-updates
> > kubuntu-backports
> > kubuntu-experimental
> >
> > and move *all* landing and staging ppas to a different page or pages, ones
> > less or un-advertised.
> > As we have not done any KDE/Plasma beta work for some time, the
> > beta-backports
> > might not be useful anymore. Experimental might be useful to have around,
> > though.
> >
> > Rationale:
> > PPAs that are not official nor supported or possibly unstable should be
> > mixed in
> > with the PPAs we actively  support and promote. I think it might make
> > tracking
> > down issues a bit easier, and make it less likely for dependency hell to
> > bring
> > its wrath.
> >

> > Questions:
> > Why did we start moving PPAs to the main page?
> > Are there administrative actions that are worth having it as it currently
> > is?
> >
> > What are the negatives of separating things into different launchpad
> > pages?
> >
> > Am I proposing something that may not be helpful to users and the team at
> > all?
> >

> > (1) https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa
> >
> > --
> > Clay Weber