AppStream, Discover and metadata

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Sat Nov 21 16:24:38 UTC 2015

> Discussed this briefly at Munich sprint.  The packages in
> ppa:ximion/packagekit are fine to develop against and if Plasma 5.5
> gets put into wily those packagekit and appstream packages will be
> used for that.  For xenial the packagekit update has again been
> rejected and if that stays the same then it might need a second
> packagekit in the Ubuntu archive but that's hardly idea so Rohan is
> going to bring it up on ubuntu-devel.
>
> So a qapt+appstream backend might be nice if packagekit doesn't get
> sorted but if it's too much work don't worry about it because the
> problem should be fixed in Ubuntu.

We recently discussed the PackageKit issue, and people seem to be
confident that it will be in Xenial in a recent version, especially
since GNOME-Software requires the latest release of it.
Still, bringing it up on -devel is a good idea, since it puts a bit
more weight on getting the update done.
Also, there is currently confusion about whether aptdaemon can be
dropped - IMHO it Aptd should even be dropped, since it randomly
breaks every time we change the PK interfaces, and it doesn't offer
anything to PK users, except that there is only one daemon running
which handles packages (I don't speak against using Aptd, just about
Aptd providing PK interfaces).
With that matter resolved, PK should be good to go (but still needs a
transition, ABI and ABI changed quite a lot since the ancient version
present in the Ubuntu archives).

Greetings to all Munich people,
    Matthias