Giving back to the KDE Community

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 06:39:38 UTC 2015

Just when I have a thought, Rick sends an email....

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:33 PM, Rick.Timmis <Rick.Timmis at abazander.com> wrote:

> Vishesh Handa <vhanda at kde.org> wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> Kubuntu aims to be *the* most vanilla KDE distribution. Most Kubuntu
> members have close ties to KDE, and many are even KDE e.V members. We
> all collectively care a lot about KDE.
>
> One of the ways KDE improves it software is by enabling the developers
> to communicate in person. This is done via sprints, and via the yearly
> conference of Akademy. Kubuntu has always played a vital part in this
> conference and sometimes hosts a special Kubuntu day as well.
>
> Given this close relationship between us, and how Kubuntu clearly
> wants KDE to succeed. Perhaps some of the donations Kubuntu receives
> could be upstreamed to KDE. Kubuntu obviously has its own costs, but
> perhaps a certain part of your spare budget could be allocated to KDE.
>
> One simple way of doing this could be by becoming a sponsor for
> Akademy. It would increase Kubuntu's already massive popularity, and
> I'm sure the KDE Developers would quite appreciate it, and reserve a
> cozy place in theirs hearts cause of that.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

I would totally love to do this, but Scarlett's caution is well-said.
We have *some* money in the bank, but not enough IMO to put up 1000
euro.

> Hi
>
> At present I am not aware of any mechanism the Kubuntu community has in
> place for fund raising.
>
> I understand we can apply for funds from the Ubuntu flavours fund.
>
> I would like to see that change, so that Kubuntu can and does raise its own
> funds. The issue seems to be creating an administration function for tax and
> accounting purposes. This is a role that Canonical provides IIRC.
>
> Would KDE e.V be in a position to provide such a function ?
>
> For my part, I have made an open committment onlist to work on Kubuntu
> promotion, advocacy and profile. I would be delighted to add fund raising
> into that mix.
>
> Hope this is useful
>
> Rick Timmis

Once we get our own server set up, I really think every page of our
site should have a donate button in either the header or footer.

And I think it would be a great idea next year to raise 1000 euro for
the purpose of sponsoring Akademy. We'd need to start sometime next
spring if we want to do this.

Thoughts?

Valorie

--