Web Site Hosting

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Jun 5 23:02:02 UTC 2015

The problem is that it is another machine to administer in your mind.

I have a website host myself, it is easy, all I need to do is take
care of my own files, nothing more.

With a VPS you run the entire system yourself. You need to think about
what software to use, etc. Of course it can be done. It is just extra
hassle. It is extra workload. I think it is stupid.

Of course, your mileage may vary, perhaps you're a different beast
than I am. Perhaps once you have a ready made configuration in your
mind, an extra machine doesn't matter. But for me it does, or it would.

I think Ovidiu is right in his opinion.

I think the extra cost is neglectible. If a hosting provider asks 2
dollars per month, that's almost nothing. That's nothing compared to
the mental energy you need to put into the system yourself.

That's my point of view.

I think Ovidiu is right. Full access to files.

Ideally you'd have rsync but ssh is sufficient too.

And working on a shell in a SSH is the qualifying difference. That can
be had on VPS but also on regular 'extended' web host. You can copy
files with scp, very handy. Much more useful than FTP. But all the
rest is not so important. All these webhosts have the same packages.
You just need someone you can knock on in case something is wrong,
that's all really.

At least, that's what it is to me.

Regards, and I hope you will make a right choice.

Bart.