Questions Regarding Community Donation Program

Michael Hall mhall119 at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 1 16:50:43 UTC 2015

Harald,

I got a quick response to those two questions:

1) The money donated to the Upstreams slider went to Ubuntu
Engineering's budget. What activities and costs should count as
"upstream" work is probably going to be difficult to distinguish from
other UE work. Just as an example, Martin Pitt is working furiously on
systemd integration for Ubuntu desktop and phone, but much of that work
is happening in Debian. How much of his time should be counted as
"upstream"? It really becomes subjective. I think the best we can
objectively say is that more money has been spent by Canonical on things
that benefit our upstream or our relationship with them than has been
donated for that purpose.

2) The donations are taxed, but the numbers used for the community
requests are the pre-tax amounts, so Canonical is effectively covering
the tax expenses there.

Michael Hall
mhall119 at ubuntu.com