Kubuntu Website Sprint

Ovidiu-Florin BOGDAN ovidiu.b13 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 22:49:11 UTC 2015

În ziua de Mie 25 Feb 2015, la 20:26:59, ați scris:
> Hello world,
>
> Just in case you're not on IRC, the Kubntu Website Sprint has started and the web video confference is live at: https://meet.jit.si/KubuntuWebsiteSprint[1]
> We're writing a report here: https://notes.kde.org/p/KubuntuWebsiteThemeReport[2]
>
> Please join in and provide any feedback you have.--
> *Ovidiu-Florin BOGDAN*
> GeekAliens.com[3]
> Kubuntu România
>
> --------
> [1] https://meet.jit.si/KubuntuWebsiteSprint
> [2] https://notes.kde.org/p/KubuntuWebsiteThemeReport
> [3] http://ovidiu.geekaliens.com

Kubuntu Website Sprint Report

This is the report of the Kubuntu Sprint for the Kubuntu Website.
Purpose of the Sprint:
     *  Review the Wordpress theme that Subhajit Mukherjee <subhajitm6 at gmail.com> (bukai) made
     *  Decide wether we should use that theme on out new Kubuntu website
     *  If YES:
         *  Edit what needs editing
         *  Publish the theme on the temporary site
             *  If NO:
                 *  Write a report (this report) explaining why we chose not to use it
                 *  Find a suitable theme
                 *  Set it up on a test site

*Conclusions why not to use Bukai's theme:*
     *  Navigation bar dissapears on smaller window/screen width
     *  Navigation bar is nonexistant on mobile phones
     *  Facebook side thingy cannot be closed on mobile devices (Android & Windows Phone)
     *  The theme is a fork from https://github.com/toddmotto/html5blank[1] and many other projects and throughout the theme *there's not much mention of where each component came from*
     *  The theme is very fragmented, composed of multiple projects put together but not optimized
     *  There's no commit history so we can complete the upper
     *  Homepage is not intuitive, and not uniform
     *  Social feeds are not fluid in the theme
     *  On small screens the recent posts images are HUGE, taking up to much of the screen, and there's not post title.
     *  The fact that the pictures are not resized properly is not relevant, that can be aranged, regardles of the theme used
     *  There is a need for a maintainer for this theme, to continusly update it, secure it and optimize it

*Proposed theme to be used: Advertica Lite[2] *
*Reasons:*
     *  Professional coorporate theme with modern design
     *  Highly flexible and customisable
     *  Great code design that makes the theme easily customisable
     *  Professional third-party maintenance
     *  Speedy load time (~*2,29 seconds*) (*158KB*)

This theme is currently set up at http://kubwp.kubuntu.co.uk/[3] just as a proof of concept.
We still need to:
     *  optimize images
     *  do some content cleanup
     *  do category cleanup
     *  do tags cleanup
     *  do media cleanup
     *  rearange download page
     *  rearange other pages
     *  get feedback at every step.

We got some suggestions from Quintasan from his flatmate http://k.abramowicz.org/kubuntu/[4]. This provides great inspiration for the Download page IMO.
His design is great. I'd change the color palette. The problem is that that theme is just a layout, not a WordPress theme.

Jonathan also joined us for a few minutes and shared his opinion with us.

The hope is that the site will be up and running for the 15.04 release.

--
*Ovidiu-Florin BOGDAN*
GeekAliens.com[5]

--------