Fwd: apt behavior issue

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 06:13:55 UTC 2015

Follow up to Paul's first email.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paul <snowhg at icloud.com>
Date: Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 8:11 PM
Subject: apt behavior issue
To: valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com

Valorie -

Here is the information concerning apt changing ownership/attributes
during a dist-upgrade.

I noticed this first, if I remember correctly, yesterday, December 9, 2015.

The directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial is affected. Before I
observed the issue, this is what the directory should look like:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Dec 10 18:07 partial

This is what it looks like after running sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and
packages are downloaded/processed:

drwx------ 2 _apt root    4096 Dec 10 18:07 partial

I noticed this problem when I tried to perform a cache cleanup with:

sudo apt-get --purge autoremove && sudo apt-get clean

I got informed that I could not perform the operation on the partial
directory because I didn't have permission.

I have to change the ownership and attributes after a dist-upgrade.

I'm seeing this on Kubuntu 16.04 64-bit.

--

Paul O. Loughman

aka "Snowhog"

Proudly using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007

Administrator, Kubuntu Forums . Net

Visit or join us at www.kubuntuforums.net

Get Protected, Stay Protected...

With ZB Block, GNU/GPL Freeware Anti-Spam/Anti-Hack protection for
your php based website. Get it at
http://www.spambotsecurity.com/zbblock.php

National Rifle Association Endowment Life Member - "From my cold, dead hands!"

--
http://about.me/valoriez