CI branch merges and random information updates

José Manuel Santamaría Lema panfaust at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:02:03 UTC 2015

Hi Harald,

El Miércoles, 5 de agosto de 2015 15:09:19 Harald Sitter escribió:
> [snip]
> # symbols reminder
> please do not twiddle symbol files in release branches (.e.g
> kubuntu_wily_archive). if a symbol file is not uptodate then this is
> nothing more than a symptom of a deeper problem and I'd appreciate
> putting the time and effort towards solving the underlying problem
> rather than apply temporary fixes that confuse the CI
>
> HS

I understand what you mean and makes sense to me. I'm aware that you have some
automatic stuff to update symbols files, so yes, I agree it would be nice to get
the KCI back on track.

So let's start pointing out the first and most important underlying problem
right now: the CI is still using GCC 4 for wily (GCC 5 is the default since
July 31).

I have checked the last kconfig build and...
I presume you have somewhere a chroot to build the packages which should be
dist-upgrade'd in order to get the GCC 5, right?

Once you update the CI to use GCC 5 I will be very glad to help you with:
1. any possible issue that the symbols file updating in kubuntu_wily_archive
could have caused and
2. getting the kubuntu_unstable branches working fine with GCC 5; either by
sending patches or pointing out underlying problems with the KCI symbol
updating; this way when you upload frameworks 5.13, plasma 5.4 and apps 15.08
to the archive you will get everything working properly with GCC 5 since the
beginning.