Installing 14.10 beta release, and adding Plasma 5 PPA

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 09:15:33 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:43 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 03:01:35AM -0700, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 1:21 AM, Harald Sitter <apachelogger at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> > sudo apt install kubuntu-plasma5-desktop
>> >
>> > maybe we should put a kubuntu-desktop into the ppa to force migrate to
>> > kubuntu-plasma5-desktop. alas, that only helps if one had
>> > kubuntu-desktop installed anyway.
>>
>> So you are saying I should have done this rather than adding the
>> staging PPA? If so, entirely my mistake. If we want people testing
>> kubuntu-plasma5-desktop rather than installing Plasma5 from the ISO,
>> we should say so in our messaging, such as
>> http://www.kubuntu.org/news/1410-beta-2
>
> We do say so on the announce page
>  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UtopicUnicorn/Beta2/Kubuntu
> but this which isn't too well aligned to the kubuntu.org news item in terms of content,
> I was hoping the new website would fix that but I've not heard any status on that in a
> while :(
>
> Jonathan

Odd thing - even once I added the ppa, kubuntu-plasma5-desktop was
reported as non-existant. However, once I did update & dist-upgrade,
it did sort of install.

But then apt when into a spin, telling me some stuff needed to be
removed, and more updates needed installing, but it couldn't seem to
upgrade them or remove the old files; just kept repeating itself.

So I shut down (which didn't work in plasma; did `sudo shutdown now`
in console and still had to use the power button....) and started up
again, and was never logged into KDE after I put in my password.

 In the console, when I tried to login, I got:
[  171.171303] systemd-logind[976]: Failed to start unit
user at 1000-service: Unknown unit: user at 1000
[  171.171303] systemd-logind[976]: Failed to start user service:
Unknown unit: user at 1000.service

Interesting?

The atom netbook is running 14.10 with no problem, but I hesitate to
try Plasma 5 on it now.

Valorie