git branching

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 25 16:23:50 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Harald Sitter <apachelogger at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> ahoy,
>
> Here's the long promised branch mail on what the branch structure
> should look like in git
>
> We want branches per supported series to enable efficient and easy
> SRUing. CI needs a consistent name scheme.
>
> Two possible setups present themselves one is based on delivery
> targets and the other is based on versions
>
> # without version (respective upstream version(s) can be anything)
>   master
>    -> kubuntu/unstable
>       -> kubuntu/utopic/archive (5.0.0)
>       -> kubuntu/utopic/backports (5.1.0)
>       -> kubuntu/utopic/updates (5.0.1 to be landed in archive)
>       -> kubuntu/vfoo/archive (5.1.0)
>
> # with version
>   master
>   -> kubuntu/unstable
>     -> kubuntu/5.0.0/utopic
>     -> kubuntu/5.0.1/utopic
>     -> kubuntu/5.1.0/utopic
>     -> kubuntu/5.1.0/vfoo

I forgot to mention, should we want/need CI on a per-series basis
they'd respectively be

kubuntu/utopic/unstable
 -> kubuntu/utopic/backports
kubuntu/utopic/stable
 -> kubuntu/utopic/archive
 -> kubuntu/utopic/updates

and for version based schemes we'd simply have

kubuntu/unstable/utopic
kubuntu/stable/utopic

(derived branches depending on the versions)

HS